Don’t think of leftovers and just what’s left from the night before. Think of them as the raw ingredients of exciting new possibilities for tonight’s dinner.
The tastiest way to eat leftovers is when they are transformed into something new and as delicious—if not better—than the original meal. One great example of how to re-invent a roasted chicken dinner is to pull the meat from the bones and call it a pizza topping.
If you want something simple, make life even easier by using a flatbread such as lavash, pita, or even tortillas, for a quick and easy, pizza crust.
From Bread to Crust
Sure, you can buy frozen pizza dough. These breads are much easier to use–just pull one piece out of the bag–are low in calories and fat, and are just plain delicious. Even foods like mashed potatoes can be added; drop on in teaspoon-sized dollops.
Note: The lighter texture of these breads require less sauce, however, as well as an even touch with the other ingredients. If overloaded, the bread will wilt, get mushy, and break apart. Yuck.
Great for Singles or Little Ones
Pizzas made from leftovers are great to make when you’re on your own for dinner, or just want something light. They’re also fun to make with kids. Pair with a fresh salad for an easy, carefree dinner that goes from the oven to the table in just minutes.
Leftover Chicken and Roasted Potatoes Pizza
- Leftover roasted chicken pieces, white and/or dark meat, cut into bite-sized pieces (Grilled Chicken Breasts are perfect for this)
- 1 large pita
- Leftover sautéed spears of asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- Leftover roasted red potatoes, cut into slices
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Preheat your Califono pizza oven to 350°
- Lay pita on baking sheet and brush on extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle with the chopped herbs and salt
- Begin with a layer of chicken, then potatoes, and end with asparagus
- Sprinkle with the crushed red pepper
- Sprinkle on top grated mozzarella cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes (these pizzas will cook much more quickly than those made with pizza dough, so be careful not to burn).
- Serve and enjoy!