Dermatologists assure that puffy eyes take place when there is an excess fluid which is kept around the eyes, in the soft area. When fluid retention occurs, we speak of edema. As a rule, you can get rid of puffy eyes in home conditions.
- Tiredness or lack of sleep
- Excess of salt in the diet
- Bacterial infection
- Extended use of affordable contacts
- Various eye diseases: sinusitis, conjunctivitis, blepharitis
- Stress or crying
Puffy eyes make you look tired and exhausted, even if you are not. So many times, we wake up after a deep sleep and feel quite fresh, though our puffy eyes prove the opposite. It’s quite possible to get rid of puffiness under eyes following some advice:
- Use the tea bag. Tea is not only useful for health as an energy drink but also is a stunning remedy for puffy eyes! Of course, drinking tea will not save you from swollen eyes. Just lay the used tea bags over your eyelids. The tea bags must be fresh — follow the same algorithm as if you are making tea to drink, but don’t add sugar to your tea and let the bags cool a bit. When they are warm (a bit warmer than room temperature), lie down, place the tea bags over your eyelids and relax. Ten minutes will be quite enough, and your eyes will look beautiful again! Both green tea and black tea do for this procedure.
- The cucumber strategy. Cucumbers are used to struggle against baggy eyes, wrinkles, sore and swollen eyes. Take a cucumber into the fridge for two hours to increase its cooling properties. Cut two cucumber slices and place them over your eyelids for ten minutes. Relax and think of something good. Your eyes will become fresh very fast to put on contacts for daily wear without worries!
- Potato method. Besides being a part of almost every day diet, potatoes are used in headaches treatments and are known for anti-inflammatory properties. Your eyes will heal in no time! Just peel and wash a potato tuber. Cut two slices and put them over your puffy eyes. Let them rest here for a quarter of an hour. This will help you to get rid of swollen eyes quickly!
- Whip up some egg whites. If you have ever made a facial mask in home conditions, you might have used some egg whites. Egg whites possess skin tightening properties which are known to prevent skin from aging. Egg whites do wonders for puffy eyes as well. All you need is to whisk some egg whites until smooth, then add a bit of witch hazel. After it, put the mass under your eyes with a brush. This is a perfect method to get rid of under-eye puffiness.
- Cooling with a metal remedy. Teaspoons will do for best. Place two teaspoons in your fridge to make the metal cooler. When you feel your eyes are sore and ache, take out two teaspoons from your fridge and put them over your eyes. The soothing effect of cold metal will bring relief to your eyes.
- Salt remedy. Salt is of double nature for puffiness under eyes. Eating salty food will only worsen your condition if you have puffy eyes problem. So, you have to apply salt on your skin. Mix half of teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water until salt dissolves. Soak a pair of cotton balls in the mixture and then place them over your eyelids. Wait 15 minutes and remove the cotton balls. Your eyes look great again!
- More water — internally and externally! If your body is dehydrated, you have to encounter the problem of water retention in your body, and this adds to your eye puffiness.
Wash your face with cold water – first and foremost, in the morning and during the whole day!
Another remedy is to soak cotton balls in ice water and put them over eyes for several minutes.
If your eye puffiness goes along with some complications as sharp pain or lousy vision, don’t hesitate to consult a doctor. Otherwise, the above remedies will help you to get rid of puffy eyes.